Stroke or Traumatic Brain Injury?
If you are recovering from a stroke or traumatic brain injury, communication-cognition problems may include...
- aphasia (e.g. mild to severe word finding problems, difficulty understanding a person's speech, inability to read or write),
- apraxia (a motor planning problem- e.g. the wrong sounds are coming out)
- dysarthria (muscle weakness causing slurred speech)
- cognitive deficits (difficulty paying attention, remembering, problem-solving, or a variety of other problems)
Intensive, Traditional and Consultation programs available
Therapy starts with a communication evaluation. We look at:
- WHAT is difficult,
- WHY it's difficult,
- HOW it's impacting living life (what can't the person do because of their condition).
Once we know those factors, then we work as a team to choose goals and develop a plan to help. Total hours/week is dependent on the client and how often they practice their home program. Some insurances require a doctor referral. We can contact your doctor to request the referral, if needed.